Showing Checklist: What to ask when looking for a new place to rent.
Looking for a new place can be a long and stressful process of sorting through Zillow and craigslist ads. If you find a place you really like you will probably decide that you want to see the place in person. Showings can be short and it is easy to forget to ask everything you need to know regarding this potential new home.
We decided to try to tell you what we feel are the important things to ask when seeing a place. At the end of this post, you can find a link for a google form that you can bring with you to every showing. You can submit the form multiple times if you are seeing multiple places. All the results will be emailed to you so you can compare the results of the difference places once you are done seeing places.
Here is the list of questions we feel is most important for you to ask.
- What is the lease length?
- How much is the rent?
- How much is the security deposit?
- How much is due upfront (at signing)? What was the rent increases over the last 3 years?
- What are the late rent fees, returned check charges, and other penalties?
- Optional (In case you thing you might need to ask this): What are the conditions in which breaking my lease is acceptable?
- Will the unit be cleaned prior to move in?
- What appliances are included with the unit?
- Is the home furnished?
- If yes, what is it furnished with?
- What are the homes quiet hours (times when you’re expected to be quiet)?
- What are the parking rules?
- To whom do I direct requests regarding the home?
- Which utilities am I (tenant) responsible for?
- What is the average monthly utility cost?
- What is the condition of the building’s wiring, water heater, air conditioning unit? How efficient are these systems?
- How are maintenance requests handled?
- What is the typical response time for a maintenance request?
- What notice is the landlord required to give before entering the apartment? Are there exceptions?
- Who are the recommended internet providers in the area (cable, DSL, etc.)? Will installation require the presence or assistance of the landlord or maintenance person in any way?
Link to google form: https://goo.gl/forms/0ksGug4jtPkPzDlh1